Monday, April 25, 2016

Diving In: Maldive Adventure, Part 4

So M's birthday and the day of the birthday dinner finally arrived. Because we had been so helpful with the Ms. S problem at the Front Desk, the hotel staff was more than willing to help me surprise M with a birthday cake after dinner, so it was all arranged.

During the day, we took a short excursion to a neighboring island (I think it was Villingilivaru), but don't remember there being much there except for a small souvenir shop (it was, after all, some 30 years ago!). It was nice, however, to be on the sea and also on a different island, however briefly.

On returning, M was not feeling too well, and wanted to rest, and planned to skip dinner. But I had already arranged for the I's and the U's to join us, and for the kitchen to prepare a cake and everything, so I was a little panicky. I guess I must have insisted too strongly, because M got rather angry and said he was not going to dinner, so I went out. A couple of hours later, when the time came, I went to the restaurant.

When I got there, the others were waiting, and wanted to know where M was. I explained the problem, and Mr. I said that he would go and talk to M, so I told him our room number.  They came back together, and M looked rested and refreshed, and had changed into some nice clothes. I told him that I had asked the others from Japan to join us, as it was really our last dinner together in Biyaadhoo. He smiled and then sat down. But as soon as he did, he spotted Ms. S sitting all by herself, and felt sorry for her, so he went over and said something like "We're all having our dinner together tonight, being all the guests from Japan; we didn't see you during the day to invite you ahead of time, but please come and join us.!" She just looked up at him and coldly replied, "No thanks, I'm fine by myself." He was a little taken aback at her response, but rather than repeat the invitation, he just said, "Sorry I bothered you" and returned to our table, shaking his head.

Everyone wanted to know what happened, but he just said that she would rather sit alone. So we paid no further attention to her and enjoyed our wonderful dinner. M mentioned that the food seemed a little better than normal, and even looked different from what the others were eating.  I just said it was probably because they were serving us more family style, but he was right, The hotel was serving us different (= special = better!) food for the "special" birthday dinner, and it was even more delicious than usual. At around dessert time, the staff signaled to me that it was time, and as they dimmed the lights, we all started singing "Happy Birthday" as they brought out a cake.

It was a nice little chocolate cake (what other kind is there?), and I had brought a few small candles from home, so after it got to the table, I added the candles and lit them (only 3, as he became 33 on that day). He made a wish and blew them out, and then we all had a piece of the cake. He still felt bad about Ms. S, so he was wondering if we should ask the waiter bring her a small piece of cake. I thought that that was going far beyond the call of duty, and said, "She was adamant in telling us she wants to be alone, so maybe we should just give her what she wants." Strangely enough, it did not feel bad to say that,and everyone readily agreed, but we were sorry that she she had decided to exclude herself.

I had bought M a new watch as a gift and gave it to him at the table. When he opened it, he liked it so much that he took off his old one and put the new one on right away. In fact, when the waiter came over and said what a nice watch he had, M gave him the old one. He apologized for it being used, but hoped the young man could use it. The waiter was extremely appreciative, and expressed great gratitude. It fit him perfectly and looked really good on him, and his smile said it all. M's watch looked good on him, too, and he was also pleased.

So the evening was a great success. I thanked Mr. I for having gone to get M earlier, and he just winked and said, "No problem." We all finished with an after-dinner drink (some had brandy, some coffee, etc.) and then made our way back to our rooms to pack and get ready for the long trek back to Japan tomorrow. And that is such a bizarre tale that it deserves its own post. So, until next time. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment